Welcome to PaulFranklin.ca
The official website of Paul Franklin: a father, veteran, activist, motivational speaker, and proud Canadian.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

One day one highway 1 Afghanistan

  • Cpl Woodfield died in a LAV rollover in 2005 on the road known as Highway 1 from Kabul to Kandhar.
    Gwagen Gun truck (light armoured)
    After the accident and after the injured and Woodfield were taken away it was left for the PRT to contain the scene as the rapid reaction force.  Each section consisted of three Gwagens (two gun trucks and one SUV) It was expected that his call sign would stay on scene until the LAV was taken away by the NSE heavy lift and recovery team (then located in a FOB if im not mistaken) SOP in an acciendt is to have someone secure the scene and then recover the people and equipment and leave ASAP.

    This did not happen.

    The LAVs of the call sign left(they could have left and got new crews and came back to help us.. they did not despite the number of personnel staying at KAF at the time).

    That left 9 Canadian soldiers and two of Col Turjoons unarmoured militia vehicles and men to secure the busiest highway in Afghanistan.  

    Now if for a short time that makes sense...
    Nope for almost 24 hours
    Each section stayed for some two hours as literally thousands of cars passed mere meters from us as we stood outside protecting the scene.

    Chaos is the best word.
    Gwagen SUV varient (light armoured)

    9er tac then drove up to the scene and did not dismount in fact they did not stopLater the heavy lift team passed the scene (about 18 hours later) and did not help and did not stoprequests for LAV protection was denied.

    Finally the PRT phoned a local afghan heavy lift crane to drive out and lift the LAV.... it proved too weak so another Afghan civilian crane came out they finally turned it on its side....

    A Flat bed trailer (again Afghan civilian) was brought out and the LAV was eventually lifted onto the flat bed..

    The LAV was very heavy and the truck was well past its prime and not meant for the task also driven by a very very young man as most are in Afghan......

    The wheels almost popped and the convoy began the 45 some kilometer trek back to KAF... it took about 3 hours.

    Eventually the vehicle was recovered and everyone had the next day to rest and recruperate.Several days later while in KAF our teams were obviously very pissed of the lack of any response from the RCR.

    I was walking near the green bean and a bearded SF American came up to me and said..."hi bait"

    He knew I would question why and he said that our actions on the road led to more intel and direct responses than they had in the last few months...

    They used us to lure the Taliban and others to try and kill us.

    Finally when I was attacked (on January 15, 2006)n and lost both legs.....Jeff and Will lay in comas the CO of 3rd Special Forces group came in and gave each of us 3rd SF Gp dog tags.... It was their  way to say thanks for all the PRT and group had done...  and I guess what we had done.

     Finally on a personal note we had asked the RCR for coyotes and LAVs to occupy the police station at the enterance to the city where eventually my suicide bombing was to take place.

    A LAV from later in the deployment... the threats are very real

    We were told that it was not in their mandate to support the PRT... typical fubar... I also dont blame the individual soldiers i do blame others for decisions that placed our selves and my comrades at needless risk...

    I believe in fate so I would have lost both legs at a different time and location and just cause we secrue one loaction does not mean the route would have been secure.

    But that day that location could easily have been protected and very easily would have stopped the attack that day.

    I tell  this story because we should not only celebrate our success but learn from our mistakes....

    I wish this never happened but maybe the SF dudes got many bad guys...

    I wish the RCR and the NSE stopped to help.

    I wish alot of things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment